Counselor offers college application advice

Myah Lear

It All Starts Here As students begin to apply to colleges, completing online forms is essential including the FAFSA financial aid form. Most colleges also expect online applications.

Myah Lear, Reporter

Some seniors are thinking about pursuing some form of higher education such as college. There are things to think about and research when deciding the best college.

Some seniors may not know how to apply for college.

“Well SATs [Scholastic Aptitude Test] are now optional, so you have to look at whatever particular school you might want to go to and see if you have to take the SATs,” guidance counselor Sue Fox said. “That’s the first step. Then, you just google your school and there’s usually a little button that says ‘apply now’ and you apply. Some students use the common app to apply. You can click literally one application and say ‘Okay, I’m going to send it to Penn State and Carnegie and Juniata’ or wherever it may be, so you’re only filling out one application. The common app kind of brings that all together into one app and just sends it electronically to all of those places.”

A student applying to college may need to get things from their guidance counselor or a teacher.

“Quite often students across the board should honestly be getting a transcript from their counselors because that way you can see all of the classes you’ve taken in ninth, tenth, eleventh and what you’re currently doing in twelfth,” Fox said. “It gives you a GPA [grade point average] and your class rank, which colleges will definitely ask you for. You definitely need that from your counselor. Sometimes you need a counselor recommendation. Sometimes depending on where you’re going, you need a teacher recommendation. That is all depending on all of the schools you’re applying to.”

Extracurriculars and community service may be something that students want to look into to put on their college applications.

“Colleges like to see if you’re well rounded not just book smart,” Fox said. “They want to see that you’re in some clubs, that you’re in band or orchestra or a sport, or maybe you’re in games club or Friends of Rachel. I’m not saying you have to be in 20 different things but pick a couple. A lot of schools and colleges like to see you have leadership skills. You can always volunteer and do some community service. As for jobs, there’s always a space where you could always write something and explain your situation.”

Fox advises students to think about how many colleges to apply to and what they think is best for themselves.

“I always say don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Some people just apply to one school and that’s it,” Fox said. “I would say a student should apply to at least a few. I can’t give a definitive answer. I do have kids that apply to 20 and that’s just crazy because your time that’s you putting into all that paperwork is a lot. Go visit and try to weed it down.”

Students are able to apply to get financial aid to attend college.

“For financial aid, every college across the country wants a FAFSA [Free Application for Federal Student Aid],” Fox said. “You fill out one application and you have to get, if you have a job, your information goes and your parents’ information goes in. If your parents are divorced, you choose the parent you live with the most. You fill out that one form and then you click on that from where you want it sent and each college will send you individual financial packages because every college costs different amounts. Based on the information you file from the one from, that college will give you your financial aid information.”

There are fees that a person may not be able to pay with financial aid.

“Most students qualify for some financial aid,” Fox said. “After that, you’re expected to get loans for the rest, so that has to factor into your college choice… College tells you this is your expected family contribution. You have to come up with that amount of money, so students take loans out. Sometimes parents have to co-sign for those, so you have to take all of that into consideration when you’re choosing what college you want to go to. Most people get a little bit from their parents if you’re independently wealthy, most of us are not.”

There may also be help for students with unique situations.

“Sadly, a lot of kids say ‘Look I’m independent now. And I can’t get my parent’s tax information.’ You have to have your parent’s tax information in order to qualify for these things unless you are deemed independent by the state. If you have a baby, if you get married or if your parents are deceased, those are the only things that qualify you for not getting your parent’s tax information, and it’s a struggle because some kids don’t have a good relationship with their parents… Sometimes parents have messed up their credit so badly that it’s difficult for parents to sign for college loans… it doesn’t have to be a parent. It can be a grandparent to co-sign.”

Some students may think about joining a sorority or fraternity when thinking about which colleges to apply to.

“You have to keep in mind that sororities and fraternities require a lot of time dedication,” Fox said. “You have to be responsible for going to their events and that they have a lot of the time. When students join those things, their grades aren’t quite as high because they’re so focused on the wrong area. Instead of focusing on their academics, especially freshman year, your first experience in the outside world, your grades sometimes suffer. It can be an awesome experience as long as you make sure that you are still dedicated to your studies.”

Some students choose not to go directly to college after high school.

“For some people, a gap year is very good because it gives them time to earn some money and maybe figure out what they want to do,” Fox said. “For some people a gap year is not good because then they get out into the real world and maybe start to have a family and then it gets more and more difficult to come back. I’ve seen good cases either way… If you’re burned out, you probably shouldn’t go to college because you’re going to waste your time and your money. For a lot of people, a gap year can be tough because you get out there and take on a full time job. If you have a full time job, it’s going to be hard to give that up to go back to school full time.”

Students with IEPs or a disability may be able to get help.

“There is help available, and I dealt with this with my students. This is the same across every college,” Fox said. “There’s an office of disability services on every campus, so they need to contact them. Once you decide where you’re going, then you need to contact that office, and they will help you set up what you need. You get a little less help in college.”

Fox says there are many other things to think about when choosing a college.

“Colleges people like to look at are their dream schools and honestly I say everybody should apply to their dream school and see if you get in so you don’t have any regrets, but then it honestly comes down to what you can afford,” Fox said. “Hopefully you can go visit. Every year I have kids that say ‘I want to go to apply to University of Hawaii’ and most can’t go there to visit, so you have to look at it practically like what you can afford, what you can get out of it and what you are making in the end.”

A helpful website, recommended by Fox, that is available to students to learn about colleges is the college board website or the choices360 website.