Spayd’s SAT practice helps students prepare

Week+five+of+the+practices+is+posted+and+ready+to+be+completed.+An+answer+key+has+been+attached+so+you+can+check+your+work.+

Allison Little

Week five of the practices is posted and ready to be completed. An answer key has been attached so you can check your work.

Allison Little, Reporter

Honors geometry and AP statistics teacher Doug Spayd offers math SAT practice resources to students. Spayd does this through a Google classroom that any student can join. 

The Google classroom code is repeated on the announcements every morning, so students who want to join have easy access through the Google classroom code 2uf56pd.

“I started the SAT math practice program about 10 years ago as a paper and pencil activity in my classroom for any junior or senior who wanted some practice. I had a good response; typically having anywhere from 50 to 70 kids participating in the paper and pencil program. Then two years ago when Covid hit, I decided to move it completely online as a Google classroom, and the response was impressive by the juniors and seniors since last year there were 120 kids who participated, and presently there are 96 kids participating,” Spayd said. 

The program is updated weekly, but no due dates are attached. 

“It’s a totally optional program, it’s volunteer to participate whether they actually do the work or not, or whether they skip a week or two is their decisions, but I certainly think if they are serious enough then they are definitely going to do the exercises because the exercises are super beneficial as well as short and quick,” Spayd said. 

The classes Spayd teaches grant him the criteria needed to effectively prepare students for the SAT’s. 

“I teach honors geometry for which there is a lessened emphasis of geometry on the SAT, but still about 20 percent of the questions have to do or are related with geometry. I also teach AP statistics for which my juniors in my AP stat class. When they take the SAT’s, they find it was very beneficial to have that particular class before taking the test,” Spayd said. 

Many students greatly appreciate the effort that Spayd uses to help them. Junior Landen Fisher is one of the many students who have joined the classroom for the spring session. 

“I wanted to join because I thought that it would help better prepare me for the SAT which is really important for getting into a good college.  I think these math practices have really helped out a lot in helping me understand what I’m to expect on the SAT when the time comes,” Fisher said. 

Spayd  would have been part of a SAT practice like this if it was offered to him when he was in high school. 

“There was no SAT prep when I was in high school so we really just winged it, and I certainly would have taken advantage of a mathematics program like this if it was offered to me before taking the math SATs,” Spayd said. 

SAT’s are quickly approaching.

“I typically run the program for seniors in the fall since they are the ones who typically take the SAT in the fall, and then I rerun the program again starting in January for the spring, so that juniors can prepare. I actually have sophomores join. I know I have some of my sophomores from my classes who join the Google classroom to get extra practice, and I certainly have no problems with anybody joining the program to further their education,” Spayd said. 

The registration deadline for the March 12 SAT is Feb. 11. Students can register on College-Board.