Drug testing for athletes remains topic of conversation

Avery Reid

Just Say No In season sports getting drug tested throughout the winter. Opinions differ on whether all extracurriculars should be drug tested.

Avery Reid, Reporter

Since 1995, high school and middle schools have been drug testing athletes. The debate has come up about if all students in extracurricular activities should be drug tested or if it’s fair that only athletes are required to take drug tests. 

When taking a drug test, the school looks for certain things that would show signs of drug use of any kind. 

“The drug screening we use detects any use of illegal drugs and prescription drugs. If they have a prescription, we will know. The screening also detects drugs like marjuana and ecstasy,” Principal Andrew Neely said.

Junior Tyson Reid plays football and runs track.

“I feel that all students involved in anything relating to school activities should be drug tested. I think it discriminates against athletes and only picks out a select few,” Reid said. 

Drug testing has also been brought to the attention to parents who have children involved in sports. 

“It is a privilege to be involved in athletics or any extracurricular activity for that matter. With that being said, I feel drug testing should include all extracurricular activities not just athletics,” parent Misty Finnegan said.

There have been athletes who have gotten drug tested multiple times throughout their years at Altoona, and some athletes who have never been tested at all.

“They pulled me out during school and it took about 10 minutes. I’ve been drug tested three times in the past couple years of being at Altoona,” Reid said.

Drug testing could be denied if not willing to take the test which could lead to suspicion amongst the students. 

“If I were to refuse a drug test, I feel that I would get into serious trouble. I think it would be fair to get into trouble considering you have privacy to take the test, so it really isn’t an invasion,” junior Adam Marks said.

Neely confirmed that an app is used to select random student athletes.

“The reason we drug test athletes is to give them a reason to say no to any substances passed around at any parties or gatherings. It gives them an out,” Neely said. 

The whole point of a drug test is to give a message to students on how to ‘say no to drugs’.

”I absolutely feel that drug testing would benefit the community as a whole. The drug epidemic has spiraled out of control as of recent years. If drug testing required certain benefits that individuals receive it may work to curtail some of the drug abuse,” Finnegan said.