Indoor silks starts season undefeated

Ashley Smith

All Smiles The girls indoor silks team smileas they hold a previous trophy they just won. The girls had many performances this year, and did an amazing job

Peyton Daniel, Reporter

The girl’s indoor silks team started their season off undefeated in competitions. 

“It was very exciting starting the season off undefeated and just being able to feel that moment with some of my closest friends,” freshman Kamrynn Rhodes said.  “Everyone was hyped up, and it was just a surreal experience. I know it was just the first performance, but it still felt really cool.”

“It’s honestly a great feeling,” silk captain Ashley Smith said. “This year is extra special to me since I was able to create the routine myself as captain with the help of my co-captain Gabby. I’ve had nothing but good times with my squad, and indoor silks just gives us more time to bond with certain members. 

Kim Parker and Lisa Moore coach the team. 

“This was my third year performing in silks.  Every year I look forward to it because it’s always so fun,” freshman Madelyn Miller said. “I learned that practice makes perfect, and it takes hard work to get what you want.” 

“I’ve been involved in indoor silks since seventh grade…Each year, we came back stronger,” Smith said. “ I couldn’t have done it without my girls of course, but especially Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Moore. It’s a great feeling to create something together in a performance and see everybody work so hard towards it. The routine I created was very important to me, and just had moves I thought were nice and grabbed the audience’s attention.”

Silks is a year round activity.

“Summer practice starts in June, so it’s a nice way to begin our summer with our friends,” Smith said. “ Towards the end of the summer, it’s nice being able to perform at the Friday night football games, and seeing everybody in the stands.”

Many girls feel the impact of silks. 

“I look up to Ashley Smith (captain), because she’s taught me to be patient and that it takes time to get to where you want to be,” Miller said. “Many think that silks are just twirling a flag, but it’s way more than that. It’s about working hard, and working hard together. Making sure you communicate with the others around you, and stay in sync at all times. It’s not as easy as it looks, but Ashley really helped pull us all together and create something we could all perform well.”

“Past captains have really helped me get to where I need to be today,” Smith said. “They helped teach me that making friends along the way is important, but putting your all into it helps you in the future. It can be stressful at times, but it’s all worth it in the end. Winning isn’t everything obviously, it’s the experience and memories you make along the way that matter most. I’m just glad I get to share it with some of my favorite people, and create the memories I do and will continue to create with this squad.”