Childhood foods bring back memories

Courtesy of Emily Pentland

Another homemade favorite of Pentland is chicken alfredo with homemade sauce. “My mom always makes the sauce from scratch,” Pentland said. “It’s so good.”

Abigail Shearer, Reporter

According to some, childhood foods are something that stick around for a while. Sometimes to eat them and other times just to laugh about them. 

Freshmen Emily Pentland and Brenna Rupert like food combinations they used to eat during childhood that make them laugh, as well as others that hold significant memories. 

“I used to eat popcorn with parmesan cheese, the shaky cheese you put on pizza, all the time. I also put Sunny D in a cup and put gummy bears in it. I still eat both of those,” Pentland said. “One of my favorites was I used to eat fried chicken Kid Cuisine, but they don’t make it anymore. I would take the chicken and dip it in the chocolate pudding. I would still eat that if they still made it.”

According to the students, the silliest foods have always been a childhood favorite. 

“I used to eat mac and cheese a lot. It was definitely one of my favorites and it still is. Another thing is a Kool aid packet on ice and frozen fruit,” Rupert said. 

Some foods might start as “science experiments” or “being bored at dinner” but have turned into favorites. 

“I was probably around six when I tried them. It was around the same time period. It’s been nine years and I still eat off of them, and if I had the chance to eat the chicken and pudding again, I 100 percent would. I was really bored at dinner one time and just tried it,” Pantland said. 

“I was in third grade, and I really liked to do science experiments. I tried them out and they tasted good so I kept eating them,” Rupert said. 

Homemade favorites may be favorites because of  how they taste, but also for the experience according to students. 

“My mom makes mashed potato bowls; she will mash up the potatoes by themselves instead of buying them in a box. My mom also makes amazing homemade mac and cheese. It’s so good. She would cut up the cheese, and I would cut off a big chunk. I would eat my big brick of cheese and ride my bike. I do not know how to make it, but I would like to learn how because it was really tasty,” Pentland said.  

Foods might stick around for a while but memories and the experience will be remembered. 

“When I would go to my aunt’s house, I would always make cookies with her. I don’t know how to make them, but I would learn how because they remind me of her. I don’t really see her that often,” Rupert said. 

Wanting to carry the food on for future generations, both students would like to learn how to cook them to show others. 

“I do plan on introducing it to my children because it was good, and it was a big part of my childhood,” Pentland said.

“I will introduce them because they are very delicious and they are really fun to make,” Rupert said. 

According to some, even though the food is good, the memories mean more. 

“Riding my bike and eating cheese was definitely my favorite memory because I like cheese and I did that a lot and it was always really fun,” Pentland said. 

“I would make them with people from my family and it was fun because I got to spend time with my family and I like cooking and baking,” Rupert said. 

With some students childhood foods tend to stick around into later years of their lives. 

“My favorite childhood food is chicken tenders.  I ate them so much as a kid and I still eat them. I didn’t eat much because I’m a picky eater. I still don’t eat much but they’re definitely my favorite food,” Pentland said. 

According to Pentland and Rupert, childhood favorites tend to stick around for a while, but there can also be room for adjustment. 

“My favorite food was any kind of noodles. I love noodles, specifically spaghetti noodles and sauce. I still eat it just with garlic bread,” Rupert said

Even if it’s not edible, certain ‘foods’ stick around for a while.

“I ate grass and cat food once. My cat just had kittens and the cat food smelled really good and I just wanted to know what it tasted like,” Pentland said,  ”I also used to eat stuff off the ground as a kid, but didn’t everyone?”  

“I ate dog food and flower petals. They were really pretty and smelled good and I wanted to see how they tasted,” Rupert said.