EDITORIAL: Water is not clear choice

With the addition of the water bottles, students now have the convenience of carrying water with them throughout the school day.

The administration should allow students to have more than just water in their school issued water bottles.

The school bottles are durable and useful and could be put to more use. The bottles seal and have a straw.  There should be no way spills are possible. Bottles could be filled prior to arriving at school to prevent any spilling danger or bottles would be filled in the cafeteria.  If the worst happens students should be held responsible to quickly clean up the spill.

Students are often times seen as rebellious teenagers or rule breakers, which is why it’s understandable that school officials would do their best to prevent drug or alcohol use during the school day. About 17% of American high school students drink, smoke or use drugs during the school day, a 2012 survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University said. Limiting liquids to clear choices does not prevent this problem however as alcohol can be clear as well.

In the school store, where the water bottles are sold, there are other drinks sold there as well such as sodas and flavored waters.  There are also vending machines in the cafeterias that sell tea, Mountain Dew kickstarts and other flavored waters. If there are others drinks being sold in the same place the school bottles are being sold, students should also be permitted to have those beverages in their bottles. Students often want something other than water to drink. If students were allowed to have other drinks more bottles would be sold.

People may counter argue that water is better to have than any other drink, but other beverages also offer the same health benefits as water.  Some students hate the taste of plain water and would be encouraged to drink more with other choices available. Sports drinks also offer hydration advantages.  Some beverages also contain vitamins plain water does not.

In the store, the school could install a soda machine that students would use to have their bottles filled up. Students could fill up their bottles by a teacher/responsible student running the store. The bottles could be checked by teachers if questioned. The bottles would also help to further enforce the recycling since students will cut back on buying cans and bottles by just filling up their school issued bottles with their favorite drinks.

Overall, it is a good idea to allow the students to use the official school water bottles for more than water.