TikTok taking over

Eli Peteuil

Its time for TikTok. Sophmore Nicholas Pruznak enjoys watching TikTok on his morning bus ride. “TikTok can be kind of cringy sometimes, I enjoy some of the videos though,” Pruznak said.

Eli Peteuil, Reporter

With TikTok predicted to reach 755.0 million monthly users during 2022, some may say that  TikTok has an influence on the students. 

Some students are able to look at the positives and negatives that come with social media such as TikTok.

“TikTok can be both positive and negative for students. One of the big issues I think that comes with TikToks’ popularity is body issues. I believe TikTok has given many students a harsher body image,” senior Adreonna McConnell said. 

McConnell believes that TikTok can make students judge their appearance; however, she also believes there are positives that TikTok can bring into a student environment.

“I do think TikTok is really funny. I like a lot of my FYP (for you page) videos. TikTok creates a common culture among the students, which can be negative, that can let people in on inside jokes, trends and the latest fashion,” McConnell said. 

Junior Liam Long really doesn’t like the idea of younger generations having access to TikTok. Long believes that TikTok can make the younger generations know more than they should at their age.

“TikTok is causing negative influences on the high school population. This is evident by the ‘devious lick’ trend that swept our nation, it even caused destruction in our school district, and theft of school property.” Long said, “ I notice younger audiences using foul language and having a better understanding of mature concepts they should not yet understand. I believe this all stems from the same source being TikTok, this projects to me that TikTok has not had a positive impact upon the high school age group.”

Some students have an issue with TikTok, the app itself. Not how it affects only students but every user of the app.

“TikTok is addictive. I can find myself scrolling for hours and even though I know I do it, I lose track of the time. TikTok is also so political and opinionated, it can influence people and they may not even notice they are being influenced,” senior Cameron Patterson said.

Freshman Gianna Stillman wants to look for the good in TikTok, but she believes the bad TikTok brings is bigger than the good.

“I think it has mainly a negative effect on people, especially teens. Most of the app is negative posts as well as people being bullied with hate in their comments. I do think there is some positivity on the app, but it’s hard to find,” Stillman said.