Track athletes lose track season due to injuries

Avery Reid, Reporter

Track season has begun, and the teams first meet was Saturday April 2. Students started practicing in late February, but there are some students who will not have the chance to run this upcoming season.

Junior Maura Kiser and I both tore our Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) last fall, 2021. 

“I became injured in early September of the 2021 fall season. I was playing as an outside defender in a soccer game over Labor day weekend. The other team happened to get a break away and were about to shoot the ball. Naturally, as a defender, I stuck my leg out to prevent the shot and as I did that, the force from the girl’s shot combined with the force of my landing caused me to hyper-extend my knee,” Kiser said.

Kiser runs the 4×8 relay, the 400 meter dash and the 4×4 meter relay.

I unfortunately tore my ACL playing in the Turkey Bowl on Nov. 24, 2021. I played on a team that some of my friends were on. It was our last game of the day, and we had a couple seconds left to keep the other team from scoring. As I was grabbing my opponent’s flag, my right knee hyper-extended.

It was the day before Thanksgiving, so Med Express was full. I had to go to UPMC Altoona Station Medical Center. Finding out what was wrong with my knee was the hardest part. After two weeks of MRI and x-rays, the doctor informed me that I had fully torn my ACL.

Through the seasons of my running track, I usually ran the 800, 1600 and 3200 meter runs. I have been running track since junior high school.

“Recovery was very stressful at times. There were days where I was so tired of doing the same simple exercises over and over again at therapy. The thing that helped me get through those times were the support of my family and my determination to get better,” Kiser said.

Kiser attended therapy at Drayer Physical Therapy Institution for about seven months, including the time she went before and after her surgery.

I started going to therapy at Drayer Physical Therapy a week after I tore my ACL; they started working with me on stretches and workouts to help with my mobility before my surgery, so after my surgery I would be in better shape.

My ACL surgery was in late December. After my surgery, I was supposed to stay off my leg for a week to two weeks and had to keep it fully straight, with rest and elevation. 

I am still attending Drayer, and it is almost four months post-operation. I hope to join a club team next year, where I will be attending Duquesne University.

“I feel sad knowing I am not able to participate in this year’s track season. I love the girls on the team and enjoy running with each and every one of them. They are all hard workers and accomplished a lot throughout the winter season. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for them this spring! It is also a shame I am not able to compete with my sister, senior Lauren Kiser, one last time before she goes off to college,” Kiser said.

The Kiser sisters have been running track together for the past four years now, and have even run on 4×8 and the 4×4 relays together.

I am going to miss track season a lot this year. I’ve been running track since seventh grade, and am very sad I can’t finish my high school sport. Track has made me a well rounded person overall, and I am excited to see how the team does this year. The thing I’m going to miss most about track is the connections I’ve made with everyone.

I have also been a part of the girls’ varsity cross country team for the past five years after thriving in my eighth grade track season. I have become family with all of the girls I have run with.