End of school brings memories from past year

Created by Jayla Nartatez

No more school! The end of the year is approching with only a few weeks left. Students are continuing to make memories and remembering old ones as well.

Jayla Nartatez, Reporter

Throughout the school year, some students have made memories and experienced moments that will last a lifetime.  As the end of the school year begins to approach, students remember accomplishments and reflect on the year coming to a close.     

This year, junior Sophia Caputo has made honor roll every marking period while taking honors and AP courses after previously facing challenges during COVID-19. 

The greatest thing to happen to me this year was definitely being able to make it through my hard classes. In the beginning of the year, I struggled due to my sophomore year being online, but I think me getting through this tough year has really been rewarding,” Caputo said. 

For junior Landen Fisher, this school year brought new opportunities as he joined the volleyball team: developing a new skill.

“Joining the volleyball team has helped me cope with a lot of the pain and conflict I have had to face this year and has also helped me build numerous new friendships,” Fisher said.

Also taking on a new activity, senior Rylee McCurdy participated in sparkle cheer for the first time this school year as she concludes her final year of cheer at AAHS.  

I’m really glad I decided to do it as it was a new experience for me, and I was able to make new friends,” McCurdy said.

Although Caputo endured challenges with online learning, this year she became more involved in broadcasting as she filmed on the field for football games, appeared on the morning MLTV show and made friendships with those around her. 

Overall, this school year has been very hard, but very worth it,” Caputo said. “I love a lot of the seniors who are going to be graduating and I spend a lot of time with them in school. I think that even though it was my hardest year, the people around me really made up for it.”

From certain events in his life, this past school year has been the most difficult for Fisher.

“I was quarantined for the first two weeks of school, so upon my return, I felt very out-of-system.  On top of all of the anxiety caused by homework and tests, I have experienced the destruction of friendships and the loss of my five-year-old dog,” Fisher said. 

As McCurdy closes a chapter of her life, she remembers the moments of her high school career, but is ready to move on to bigger things.

“I’m going to miss seeing the people I’ve grown up with everyday,” McCurdy said. “It’s going to be a change not knowing the majority of the people you have classes with.”

According to Caputo, she anticipated this school year to be much worse, but she looks forward to her future and spending time with those around closest to her.

“I think that the end of the school year coming to a close is definitely bittersweet,” Caputo said. “I can’t wait to be a senior next year and for the hardest year to be over, but I don’t want the seniors this year to leave.” 

With every event he has faced, Fisher navigated his way through obstacles and has achieved a large number of accomplishments with academics and athletics.

“Although there have been painfully slow weeks that I have had to push through, overall, this school year has flown past me,” Fisher said.  “It may sound cliche, but I remember the first week of school as if it were yesterday.”