Junior varsity volleyball crushes East Central Dauphin

Amy Dean

Sophomore Samuel Kessinger sets the ball.

Landen Fisher, Guest Reporter

Like all other sports, volleyball requires practice to perfect.  For Altoona’s junior varsity volleyball team, that practice was well worth it recently.  

On April 22,  the team crushed Central Dauphin East’s junior varsity volleyball team.  For Altoona, it was an away game that took about two-and-a-half hours to travel to; the competing groups faced one another at Central Dauphin East High School in Harrisburg, Pa.  Out of the best of three sets, Altoona won 25-8 in one set and 25-12 in the other.  Coach Christopher Keagy, is proud of his team’s performance at this game.  They met his expectations regarding the objectives he wanted them to achieve.

“My objective for the team was for them to serve well, pass well and stay aggressive with their swings.  I think they did an amazing job,” Keagy said.

Although the team met Keagy’s expectations during their sets against Central Dauphin East, he wishes they had performed better in previous games.

“They are not doing better than I anticipated.  I expect them to win every time.  With three returners on the JV [junior varsity] team, this should not be a problem,” Keagy said.

Although Keagy has hoped for better results in their previous matchups, he is hopeful for what is to come for Altoona’s volleyball players.  His goal for the remainder of the season is simple.

“[I want the team to] Finish out the season on a high note: win every game and improve so that the varsity team next year is even better than this year’s,” Keagy said.

Despite the team’s victory during this game, there have been some hurdles to leap over.  Junior Varsity Captain Noah Fries finds various challenging aspects to leading his fellow athletes to victory.

“I think the most challenging aspect of being team captain is simply leading your team to a win,” Fries said.

To Fries, leading his team is rather important.  In fact, having a leader on the court is an objective that Keagy has stressed for the entire duration of the season.  As captain, Fries is doing multiple things to lead the team.

“I’m trying my best to be a leader.  I am being loud and proud and supporting my teammates as much as I can,” Fries said.

This game is a highlight.  A notable piece of the matchup would be the team’s eleven point streak made with Sam Kessinger as the server.  Coach Keagy is proud of the accomplishments his athletes made in this game, as well as team captain Fries.  With only a few weeks left before the end of volleyball season, the team still has time to claim a few more victories for themselves.