Cyber cafe seating limited during lunch hours

Lincoln Frank

Students sit at the cyber-cafe with friends after school.

Lincoln Frank

Some students have been confused recently by changes in seating rules at the cyber-cafe during lunch hours. Some students were turned away from cyber-cafe seating at the start of the school year and needed to find new places to sit at lunch.

“I think we should be able to sit there because then students are forced to stay in one area and cannot move due to the limited seating, which kind of makes students uncomfortable,” junior Trapper Bickel said.

Students who made inquiries as to why they cannot sit at the cafe during lunch were told the cyber-cafe is now reserved for specific students.

“I was not allowed to sit there because now the cyber-cafe is reserved for specific students at specific times,” Bickel said.

Some students believe that the cafe is an important space for students to have access to during lunch.

“I would benefit from the cyber cafe by having a small place to sit with friends where it isn’t crowded,” sophomore Aiden Quirin said.

Quirin also thinks that the decision has had a confusing effect on the students whom it has impacted.

“I feel as though it affects other students by changing from what it was last year because last year anyone could sit there and now you can’t which is confusing,” Quirin said.

Quirin believes the student body as a whole would benefit from the reinclusion of the cyber-cafe as an open seating area during lunch.

“I think it would benefit the student body by making the people who sit there feel more secure and have less to stress about,” Quirin said.

In the future, the cyber-cafe will be used primarily as a workplace for students and teachers during class time.

“The cyber-cafe is a place where students can work while they charge their Chromebooks. When teachers bring their classes to the library, it’s a neat place to work in a relaxed atmosphere,” librarian Tanya Lucas said.

The cafe is considered an area for all students and teachers to utilize their time in, and it can be reserved by teachers for their class to work in.

“It is considered an open space, just like the area where the coffee cart resides,” Lucas said, “A teacher can also schedule to use the cyber-cafe as a place to bring their classes if they need a larger space for an activity,” Lucas said.

In the future, the cyber-cafe will still be used during lunch hours by the friends of Rachel club members and ambassadors as a way to help new students feel more at home.

“The friends of Rachel tables are for club members who are willing to be ambassadors of kindness for new students. When new students enter our school throughout the year, lunch is often an overwhelming time. Lunch seating has been established and often new students can’t find a place to sit. The friends of Rachel tables will be a place that welcomes new students, and it provides friendly faces, as well as a place to eat lunch for new students, ” Lucas said.

Moving forward, the cafe will still be used as lunch seating, but it will be a way to help students feel more comfortable in the school. It will also remain an open workplace for teachers and their classes.