• April 26Lunch for 04/26/24 - Cheesy Breadsticks with Sauce
  • April 26Breakfast for 04/29/24 - Waffles
  • April 26Announcements for 04/26/2024
  • April 25Announcements for 04/25/2024
  • April 25Breakfast for 04/26/24 - Biscuit with Sausage Gravy
  • April 25Lunch for 04/25/24 - Chicken over Biscuit
  • April 24Lunch for 04/24/24 - Chimichurri Pork Tacos

Bathroom policies need reconsidered

Bryana Ayala
Lined Up Students line up by the opened bathrooms on the first floor of the B building during lunch. Policies require limited numbers of students in the restrooms.

I haven’t gone a single day at school without hearing some sort of complaint or talk of the new restroom rules instituted among students. Everybody knows why, and it is no secret that some students seem to think they can vandalize and harm district property as though they are children, and walk away with no consequences. Is this an issue? Yes, of course it is. But, considering the actions taken to prevent this issue from happening, it is my personal opinion that such actions have become a bigger issue than they need to be. Bathrooms locked, monitors unavailable; the list goes on.

At the end of the day, it boils down to one thing; why in the world should an entire school be punished for the wrongdoings of a few handful of incapable students? They shouldn’t be. There have been days I have walked around hallways twice over for the simple purpose of finding a restroom that was unlocked or one that has a monitor available. Ironically, I return later to class than I would have had I been able to use the restroom.

I completely understand why it is necessary to take precautions. These vandals should not be allowed whatsoever to congregate in the restrooms and so forth; but whether they do or not is not my problem, nor is it any other person’s who simply wishes to go about their day, and move on. I, along with many others, am tired of being punished for other people’s wrongdoings. It’s as though it doesn’t matter if you do exactly what you’re told. If somebody decides not to listen, we all get punished.

Why are we living in a time where those who do what’s right get punished for someone else’s wrong? It is beyond me, and I am tired of it. Why not spend more time punishing those who deserved to be punished rather than us who don’t? It is impossible to stop people from doing immature things at this age. If they haven’t stopped yet, then they’re not going to. But please, stop making it everyone else’s problem. Take the time to punish those who deserve it, and make life just a little easier for those of us who try hard to do what’s right.