AMC 10A and AMC 12A Competition Date Set

Melissa Krainer
Compute. The AMC 10 and AMC 12 competitions are the first in a series of math competitions. If students qualify after the first round, they could go on to the AIME competition (American Invitational Mathematics Examination) and then, after scoring high enough on the AIME, become a part of the U.S. Junior Mathematical Olympiad (for AMC 10 participants) or the U.S. Mathematical Olympiad (for AMC 12 participants).

On Nov. 8, the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) is hosting the AMC 10A and AMC 12A math competitions. The American Mathematics Competitions are 25-question, 75-minute multiple choice exams which can be administered by individual schools nationwide. Interested students will be able to take the competition during the school day.

“The test is a good overview, I would say, of everything that we’ve already learned. A nice little review test—that’s sort of how I see it—that allows me to look back at everything I’ve already learned and review,” senior Jake Yohn, a competition participant, said. “I think it’s a good test for kids to be able to actually understand how far they’ve come and know what to look forward to in the future.”