The problems of a two-party system

Party+Problems.+Democrats+and+Republicans+are+the+two+main+political+parties+in+the+United+States.+These+two+parties+control+all+three+branches+of+government.+
Ryan Longstreth
Party Problems. Democrats and Republicans are the two main political parties in the United States. These two parties control all three branches of government.

According to a poll of 215 students, 51 percent said they oppose the two party system. The split vote reflects the political state of the United States: divided.

The two-party system has been in place since the late 1790s. Among the first were the Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists. The president at the time, George Washington, even commented on the dangers of political parties. 

“The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and the duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it,” Washington said. 

If  one of the most famous and important founders of our nation understood the dangers of political parties, it stands to reason that Americans today should be able to do the same. 

The two-party system now sees Democrats and Republicans dominate the political scene. Other parties, such as the Libertarian and Green Parties, also exist; however, they do not receive nearly as many votes. To add fuel to the fire, there are often no candidates from these parties to vote for in the primary elections. 

Having only two political parties can leave voters who find themselves in the middle of the political spectrum feeling isolated. Nobody should have to feel forced into voting for a candidate they hate simply for lack of a better option.

According to a 2023 study by Pew Research center, roughly 48% of adults under 30 support the idea of more political parties. This shows young people want more options when they vote. As times change, the two-party system should as well. 

With a two-party system, a monopoly is placed on political power. Having only two major parties makes it difficult for smaller party candidates to be able to win an election. This violates the basic principles of democracy. Anyone should have a fair and equal shot at election regardless of party affiliation.

There have been multiple proposed solutions to the two-party system, such as the multi-party system or complete abolition of political parties altogether. 

Other countries have already implemented successful multi-party systems. Germany, for example, has two large parties and a number of other smaller parties which still see votes in large numbers. This system gives people several more options to choose from rather than just two.

However, the best solution to the two-party system is abolition of political parties. With this, party allegiance becomes nonexistent. This would allow for better cooperation between lawmakers, getting more accomplished for the country.

With a two-party system, division and uneven balance of power are created. Lawmakers are at constant war with one another and votes are often stagnated with a divide down party lines. It is important that the two-party system is taken down in order to secure a brighter future for the United States of America.

View Comments (2)