Letter to the Editor: Guns are not the problem

Kamryn Ryen, Contributor

Dear Editor,

Every time there is a mass shooting, people always react the same way. They put up a fight about having more gun control laws. Having more gun control laws makes it harder for people to own guns for their own protection. What about the person behind the trigger of the gun? Do you think the problem is more behind the person or the gun itself?

People believe that if we get rid of guns,  mass shootings will more than likely decrease. But  I believe that guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Have you ever noticed that all these mass shootings happen where there are no other guns around? For instance, schools are an easy target for the shooter because teachers and staff can not carry a gun on them, but I feel like teachers should carry guns on them because they’re using them for the safety of their students. 

Many people that cause these mass shootings probably  have a mental disability such as anger and depression built up inside of them that cause them to go out and kill innocent people. So why should guns be seen as the problem and have more laws for them? Yes, I understand they feel that if guns are taken away then it will control the people more but honestly it won’t. There are so many other ways people can hurt others. It’s unfair to the people who are using guns in the correct, safe way. Guns can be a great help without any fault or cause of concern in any way but once the wrong  people are thrown into the pot, it’s like pouring gasoline on a fire and there is no stopping it. Guns are not the problem in our society, the people behind the gun is the problem and always will be.

Kamryn Ryen