Two seniors accepted to national chorus festival

Canva Illustration done by Destiny Montgomery

Sing your hearts out! Seniors Emily Latten and Wesley Lane were accepted to the NAFME Mixed Choir Festival. Due to COVID-19, it was cancelled.

Destiny Montgomery, Associate Editor

In May of the 2019-2020 school year, now seniors Emily Latten and Wesley Lane auditioned for the NafMe All-National Mixed Choir. 

“They qualified to audition by being accepted into the PMEA All-State ensembles. This was Wes’ second year of participation at the All-State level. Emily qualified to participate in both the All-State Vocal Jazz Ensemble and All-State Chorus this year,” Choral director Kelly Sipes said.

Due to COVID-19, the national festival, which was set for November, has been cancelled.

“I was going to attend the NAFME 2020 mixed choir festival in which approximately 600 high school students from across the country auditioned for and got accepted. We were going to perform in Orlando, Fl. in November,” Lane said.

According to Sipes, since the festival was cancelled, they will be able to participate in virtual chorus this year.

Lane and Latten spent a lot of time practicing for their audition.

“We both worked really hard and spent a lot of time practicing the provided audition piece. For the audition, we had to send in a video of us singing the piece,” Latten said.

If the event wasn’t cancelled, they would have received a folder with different music pieces to practice.

“Normally I would receive a folder of music to prepare prior to the festival. At the festival, we would spend a few days rehearsing the music with everyone and have a concert at the end of the weekend,” Latten said.

Lane accidentally downloaded the wrong piece, but practiced a lot when he got the right one.

“Now, I only got to practice for around four days because I accidentally downloaded and practiced the wrong piece and only got the right one on the Sunday of the week the audition was due, so I practiced a lot in those four days,” Lane said.

Not only are they in chorus, but in other musical talents as well.

“Both of them are extremely talented musicians and excellent students. Wes also participates in the orchestra. Emily participates in band, wind ensemble, sax ensemble and is the drum major this year. Emily intends to major in music education in college. Both of them are great leaders,” Sipes said.

Latten has actually been around choral rehearsals since she was in first grade.

“On a side note, Emily is my daughter. She has been around AAHS rehearsals since she was in first grade and often had every song and line memorized from the musicals we performed. It is really special to have watched her be a part of Altoona’s music program and eventually join my program. We have a unique bond as a mother and daughter and teacher and student,” Sipes said.

Both Lane and Latten hope to participate in the PMEA District and State festivals for this school year. Sipes also has a lot planned for the chorus and vocal ensemble this year.

“I have some really great repertoire planned for this year and am excited that we have the opportunity to sing together in after-school rehearsals even when school is running virtually. Our first performance will be at this Friday night’s football game. I hope we have many more opportunities throughout this school year, but I guess time will tell. I hope they both have a fantastic senior year. I am so proud of them both,” Sipes said.