Senior athletes commit to college athletics

Shiny+and+new.+The+Field+House+was+recently+renovated+this+past+year.+The+Field+House+holds+all+home+basketball+games.+swim%2C+wrestling+and+gymnastics+meets.+

Ben Blackie

Shiny and new. The Field House was recently renovated this past year. The Field House holds all home basketball games. swim, wrestling and gymnastics meets.

Ben Blackie, Editor In Chief

As senior year comes to a close, many students have started to commit to colleges. Seniors Marcus Day, Cassie Kyle and Adam Zerbee are three of the numerous students. Day, Kyle and Zerbee will continue their athletic careers through college. 

“I chose Washington and Jefferson college because it felt like home and somewhere that I could succeed not just athletically but academically,” Zerbee said. 

Zerbee announced his decision on Feb. 16 to his friends and family on Instagram.

“A few things inspired me; First, Coach Gilbert who actually wrestled D1 at Clarion university, also my practice partner Matt Sarbo who is going to wrestle at Lock Haven this upcoming season,” Zerbee said.

Pullquote Photo

I thought of one of my favorite sayings “why not me” if anyone can wrestle in college why can’t I.

— Adam Zerbee

Zerbee has been a team captain for the past two years.

“I always wanted to do a sport in college and wrestling has been my favorite sport since I started in 9th grade however I didn’t want my wrestling career to end after four years, so I did whatever I could to keep wrestling after high school,” Zerbee said. 

Adam is one of the best wrestlers we have on the team; he is a true team player always looking to improve by wrestling the best competition,” head coach Joel Gilbert said.  

Kyle will continue her athletic career by playing soccer for Shenandoah University. 

Pullquote Photo

Playing in college is something I have definitely always wanted to do. It always interested me since I love the sport so much and want to play for as long as I can.

— Cassie Kyle

I chose to go to Shenandoah University because after visiting many other schools and meeting other coaches I realized I was comparing every other school to Shenandoah. Shenandoah is a small school, so I will be able to have the one on one time with teachers when I need it and the entire campus felt like home instantly to me when I visited,” Kyle said.  “Their soccer program also greatly influenced my decision, They are a lower division but still held to high standards which would work the best for me while trying to earn a degree.”

Kyle has been playing soccer since she was three years old.

I think I would have to say most of the atmosphere that has surrounded soccer during my life has influenced me to continue playing. My parents have always supported me during every game, my coach has always pushed me to be better every time I step onto the field, and I love the connection you feel with people who share the same passion for soccer like I do,” Kyle said. 

Day plans on continuing his athletic career at Temple University.

“I choose Temple because of the atmosphere down in the city of Philly and because of the experiences that come with playing D1 football,” Day said. 

Day was a team captain for his junior and senior season.

“Coach Nedimyer always told us to write down our goals and playing college football has always been my biggest one,” Day said. 

Vince Nedimyer has been the football team’s head coach since the 2019-2020 school year.

Pullquote Photo

He led us to our first district championship in 18 years, and our hope is that we will continue to play at the high level that Marcus and his other senior teammates did for the last two years. This senior group will be missed.

— Vince Nedimyer

“Marcus was always composed.  He had a confidence about him that was contagious throughout our team.  Marcus did a lot of things at the line of scrimmage that we knew he was doing but to the untrained eye was not noticeable.  He was an extension of our coaching staff on the field,” Nedimyer said. 

This year’s football team won the D-6 championship for the first time since 2002.

Marcus’ most impressive improvement came in the mental part of his playing.  He made changes at the line of scrimmage that won us some football games during his senior year.  He will continue to grow both mentally and physically and the sky is the limit for him,” Nedimyer said.