McMinn describes upsides of being part of tennis team

Sophomore Olivia McMinn Describes the ups and downs of being on a team, makes the best of the ‘bad’ situations

Mara Stadtmiller , Guest Writer

Sophomore Olivia McMinn loves tennis. She is also involved in other school activities including playing violin in the orchestra and running track. However, according to McMinn, her favorite sport is tennis. McMinn has learned lessons throughout the years and has accumulated many close relationships.

“I honestly didn’t really know too many people when I started except for a handful, but I befriended most of the team,” McMinn said.

Who McMinn is playing with and who she surrounds herself with is a huge part of why she loves tennis.

“I usually play with Bella Graham or Katie Hogan or Kourtney Iwrin, and my coach, Jake College,” McMinn said. 

For McMinn, going to her favorite place and doing the thing she loves is extremely important to her excelling in the sport.

“The courts up by Mansion Park is probably where I go to practice the most,” McMinn said.

For McMinn there have been many obstacles from joining something new; however, with all of these problems she’s become faced with, she found ways of getting around them and making something good of it. 

“Honestly it’s just a really nice team, the practices are nice, the games are nice and it’s a really calm sport. But you still have the chance to play,” McMinn said.

McMinn expressed her opinion that having a team to be close with plays a big part in interest for a sport. 

“I love my team, we’re a close group and we all get along pretty well,” McMinn said.

McMinn also expresses value toward the importance of who got her to where she is now and that includes who influenced her the most into joining tennis. 

“I wanted to try a new sport and tennis was one of the things my parents recommended to me. A couple friends did it, so I figured it was a good thing to try,” McMinn said. 

McMinn’s biggest roles and factors are the reason why she is still maintaining devotion for this sport. This mostly includes supporters of hers for this specific interest.

“My family and friends are probably my biggest supporters,” McMinn said. 

For McMinn, the competitive aspect of this sport is very important. 

“I like the chance to be competitive and compete, and I really just love the sport,” McMinn said. 

Continuing on the competitive mention, being competitive affects her on the court. 

“I think my competitiveness really takes over, and it makes me love the game a little bit more,” McMinn said.

McMinn’s interest for tennis doesn’t just turn into competitiveness; however, she makes fun out of the sport as well. 

“In practice I’m only messing around with my friends and having a good time, but when it’s a match I’m competitive,” McMinn said.