• January 10There are formal senior photos on Jan. 16 from 3-5 in the open cafeteria

• January 10There will be a blood drive on Jan. 31

• January 4Jan. 14 is group picture day for the yearbook

• January 4Applications for Girls Who Code will open in mid January

• December 19Congratulations to Mitch Lawhead and Gage Hill for their college signing today.

Bohemian Rhapsody deserves royal status

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bohemian Rhapsody deserves royal status

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Nina Cipriani, Editor In Chief

First things first, this movie is amazing. Breathtaking. Stunningly put together. It is rare to see a movie that supersedes expectations on almost every level, where each character, scene and outfit are all components that make it worth repeated viewings. No matter the statistics, “Bohemian Rhapsody” is truly a queen of all movies.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a celebration of Queen, their music and their outstanding lead singer Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek). Freddie defies stereotypes and shatters the glass ceiling of convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers in the world. The film outlines the band finding their sound and creating new songs. They reach unparalleled success and, in an unexpected turn of events, Freddie, surrounded by dark influences, shuns Queen in pursuit of his solo career. Having suffered tremendously without collaboration with the other members of Queen, Freddie manages to convince the band mates to perform at the LiveAid event. He bravely faces his AIDS diagnosis and leads his band in one of the greatest performances in the history of rock music.

The movie started with Freddie Mercury getting ready to walk on-stage at the LiveAid event, which was essentially a charity concert to raise money for people in Africa. Queen performed at this event, but the audience does not see the band’s performance until the end of the movie. The movie jumps from Freddie Mercury going on stage in 1985 to the beginning of Queen’s career in 1970. The technique of starting with the LiveAid concert and ending with the LiveAid concert is a very attention grabbing tactic. When one of the ending scenes starts, the connection is made to the beginning of the movie because they use the same exact scene of Freddie walking onstage. It essentially sends a direct message to the audience that the movie will now pick up from where they left off in the beginning of the movie. This is a common technique used in many movies, and it is used to “Bohemian Rhapsody’s” advantage in this case.

While all of the actors in this movie are extremely talented, Rami Malek’s talent really shines through in this one. There seemed to be a lot of elaborate preparation for his role in how he had to wear false teeth to give him the unique voice of Freddie Mercury. It is safe to say Rami Malek went through the biggest physical transformation of the actors in this movie. From the teeth, to the hair, to the outfits, to the voice, Rami’s performance is amazing, and so is his style.

The music choice was quite obviously perfect for the movie. The film included Queen songs such as: “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Killer Queen,” “Fat Bottomed Girls,” “Somebody To Love,” “We Will Rock You,” “Another One Bites The Dust,” “Don’t Stop Me Now” and “Under Pressure.” The movie crew knew what they were doing with this one. Even for movie watchers who are not huge fans of Queen or do not know their music very well, they will still know most if not all of the songs featured in the movie. Queen is so immensely talented in the first place, so the song choice made the movie even more enjoyable.

The “Bohemian Rhapsody” film embodies all things Queen: their killer music, their epic style and their unbeatable talent. The movie was fantastically put together. The movie makers really put thought into everything, including the outfits of the actors and even Rami Malek’s false teeth. Overall, this film is definitely worth seeing, maybe even more than once.

About the Writer
Nina Cipriani, Editor in Chief

My name is Nina Cipriani, and I am a senior at AAHS. I enjoy hanging out with my friends and watching Netflix when school and work are not occupying all...