Peteuil works on Mountain Echo staff

Jeremy Rosado, Guest Writer

Junior Eil Peteuil is a first year reporter on the Mountain Echo staff. He was in the intro to the publication class and sometimes wrote stories for assignments. 

During Peteuil’s time in ninth grade, he didn’t really know what to do until adviser Wanda Vanish got involved.

“I didn’t know that I had an interest in newspapers. Mrs. Vanish handed me a flyer in ninth grade to join intro to the pub class, and I did. I actually really liked the stuff we were doing, so I decided to stick with it. I was going to do both, but then I decided to do newswriting,” Peteuil said.”

For Peteuil, there are some easy aspects of news writing. 

“Just like sitting there writing stories after you got all your quotes and your ideas it’s so easy,” Peteuil said.

As a reporter Peteuil had an easy time being a reporter until the interviews came along. 

“Getting interviews is kind of hard; sometimes because people don’t want to be interviewed and I can’t get a hold of them and sometimes you have to chase people down and whenever you do get to interview them they give really boring quotes and you’re like alright what do I do with this,” Peteuil said.

Peteuil had problems with the interviews until two people in the staff helped him out. 

“Definitely the two editors Destiny and Cassidy. Anytime I have a question I can just text one of them or when we are in class I can just walk up and talk to them. Cassidy sits right beside me, so I can easily just ask hey how do I do this and she helps me,” Peteuil said.

That amount of help made it really easy to understand and the community made it fun.

“It’s a lot of fun. I really like the community that we build like we’re all friends in there, and it’s a nice experience with friends but it’s also a nice experience to have the freedom of writing. Of course there’s responsibilities, they need to make sure you’re doing your work, but it’s a nice experience,” Peteuil said.

As a sophomore, Peteuil has two more year to perfect his journalism skills at the Mountain Echo.