Harrington assumes new role as assistant principal

Courtesy of Keri Harrington

Keri Harrington has been hired as the new assistant principal at the Altoona Area High School.

Ben Blackie, Editor In Chief

On Dec. 7, the AASD school board voted to appoint a new assistant principal.  Keri Harrington, former AAJHS Instructional Literacy Coach, was appointed the position.

I began working for the school district here at the high school in the spring of 1999 as a full-time substitute teaching English.  During that time, I interviewed and was hired for an English position at Keith Junior High School teaching both English and drama,” Harrington said. 

Harrington then moved to the new junior high building in 2008.

“I continued working as an English teacher at Altoona Area Junior High School and became the English and World Languages Department Chairperson about ten years ago.  Three years later my teaching role changed to Instructional Literacy Coach, and I held that position until half-way through this year when I was hired as one of the assistant principals here,” Harrington said. 

Harrington graduated AAHS in 1994 and then attended Penn State University.

I had great teachers as a student here in the Altoona Area School District, and I believe the experiences in those classes inspired me to pursue teaching.  My family’s involvement in education influenced me as well,” Harrington said.  It has always been an honor for me to be a part of the Altoona Area School District, no matter what the role might have been.  As a student at Penn State University, I did my student teaching at Roosevelt Junior High School, and even then I was excited to be a part of this school district that has been such a huge part of my life.” 

Harrington continues to lead a legacy at AAHS.

My father has always been a great influence in my life, both personally and professionally.  He began his career as a health and physical education teacher and football coach and moved on to become the attendance director, an assistant principal and the athletic director before he retired,” Harrington said.

I have learned a lot from my dad, and I always hear his voice in the back of my mind when new situations present themselves.

— Harrington

Last year, Harrington’s brother Vince Nedimyer was also hired as an assistant principal.  Harington’s husband was a former principal at AAJHS and is a current principal at Hollidaysburg.

“My sister has always been a hard worker and will continue that here at the high school.  She will be a great addition to the high school.  I am excited to be able to work with her on a daily basis.  She already fits in with the other principals very well.  She will be great for our students, and she couldn’t be more excited to be here and get started,” Nedimyer said.

“I’ve learned a lot from both my brother and my husband over the years, and I felt as though pursuing an administrative position would be a good fit for my personality and for me as a professional,” Herrington said.

This year, the number of assistant principals has been changed to four to compensate for the freshman class.

I think the assistant principal position offers a unique perspective where you work with students and adults to help everyone find success.  I’ve learned a lot from both my brother and my husband over the years, and I felt as though pursuing an administrative position would be a good fit for my personality and for me as a professional,” Harrington said. 

Harrington has been teaching for the past 21 years.

“My favorite thing about teaching is working with students and helping them accomplish things they didn’t believe they could do,” Harrington said.