The downfall of a dancer

Rylie Keagy, Guest Reporter

A girl has been in her dance studio practicing for five hours already, staring at herself in the mirror and listening to the endless rant of what she can do better. The student is academically excelling and is always in a good mood. She has the life her peers dream to have as the perfect student, perfect dancer and body, perfect mindset. Sometimes ‘perfect’ isn’t as it seems.

When the girl gets home from the school day after prolonged practice, she goes back to the mirror and the thoughts from practice flood her brain. Always striving to be that perfect girl everyone portrays her to be. Behind the closed doors, she struggles. 

Personal Experience

I have been a dancer since the small age of two, which many people know about me. What my peers don’t know are the struggles I face. The competitions, auditions, conventions and performances I’ve attended are endless. Each one has something in common. I compare myself and my body; however, I’m not alone. 

Every dancer I’ve spoken with has put herselfthemself down wishing she wasthey were someone else or that shethey had not eaten that day. It’s not always the dancers this issue roots from, but the teachers. Teachers I have taken classes from have told me, “You will not get into this industry with the body you have.” The worst part is, I believed them. It has’s always been my dream to become a professional dancer, and I wanted it more than anything. 

Not eating, cutting back on certain food groups, telling yourself you aren’t good enough is mentally and physically deteriorating to the body. I struggled with body dysmorphia and my image. After years of this fight, I got weaker and couldn’t do some of the things I was able to do with lack of muscle. I was determined to make myself stronger.

It wasn’t always about the external physical appearance but the internal functions as well. In order to be the best that I could be I had to love myself and not harm my body. Although there are still some days I feel these intrusive thoughts, each day is better than the last. 

Statistics

According to NIH, a study between 1966 and 2013 was conducted and results showed that 37% of dancers suffer from some type of eating disorder. Dancers in general have a higher risk of suffering from eating disorders. The study concluded that dancers have a three times higher risk than the population. 

Another source, Dance Niche, states 1 in 3 dancers in the professional industry suffer from mental health issues. It’s an alarming factor because you see these women on stage, and they look extremely happy. But, that can be far from the truth behind closed doors. 

Even after professional life can one can be affected by the struggles of a dancer. Kathleen McGuire shares she never felt confident. “I love dance, but it doesn’t love me,” McGuire saidys. She speaks for the many dancers in the same position as her. 

As the years go on, the numbers keep growing. Most of the problems a dancer faces comes from fear of not being good enough, looking at themselves in the mirrors for hours a day and constantly being told what they can do better. 

You’re Not Alone

Even when my peers thought I was the happiest person in the room, that was always far from the truth. Having a constant busy schedule and always feeling down made me feel the most alone. I focused on myself for a while and took time to realize I was never alone. Every dancer is worthy and every athlete is perfect, even if they don’t fit ‘society’s standards’. That is what society should be promoting, every body is healthy, beautiful and nobody is alone.