Letter to the Editor: Consider vaccination over masks

Army Spc. Angel Laureano holds a vial of the COVID-19 vaccine, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Md., Dec. 14, 2020. (DoD photo by Lisa Ferdinando) U.S. Secretary of Defense, CC BY 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Lisa Ferdinando

Blake Nicolini, Contributor

Dear Mountain Echo,

So many students have been complaining about having to quarantine and wear masks over this first month of school. I have a solution for this to protect and keep the AASD students safe. 

The vaccine is the only option we have right now and notice that I said option; it is still your own choice. The vaccination for COVID-19 is a good idea. With the vaccination, masks will eventually be demolished because of the dropping of cases and the harder it will get to acquire the virus. 

For the people who disagree with me about getting the vaccine, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you need to put other people ahead of your beliefs. With the vaccine, you will also be able to go out and not have to worry about getting sick or getting people sick. People stay safe when you have the vaccination, whether it’s you or the people around you. Think about this, there are 2.52 billion people in the entire world vaccinated, this means that around 5 billion people are not vaccinated and can still very easily be exposed to COVID-19.  Before you decide not to get the vaccination, you need to think about the families with older parents and grandparents, and think about how much more safe it would be if it was more challenging for you to get the virus. Before you decide, think about your own family. Even if you don’t have a big family, small kids, young kids, are at a bigger risk than you are when you bring the virus home to them.

With the vaccine, you will also be able to go out and not have to worry about getting sick or getting people sick. People stay safe when you have the vaccination, whether it’s you or the people around you.

The FDA has fully approved the Pfizer two-dose vaccine, so what I am thinking is that soon the vaccine will be mandatory to at least the young teens and adults. I believe requiring the vaccine is the only way to get people to get it the way politicians and others want people to do.