Roberts performs for target audience through life of dance 

Ava Steinbugl, Guest Writer

Dance allows students to stay active and involved with the school. For sophomore Lillian Roberts, dance plays an important role in her life.

The Lioneer’s dance team is not similar to studio dance. Roberts has been dancing at Pauline Baker Rodgers School of Dance from the time she was two years old. This played a part in persuading her to join the dance team at school.

“It didn’t really influence me, but it played a part in me joining. It was more of an interest of being interactive with people, and I get to go to games and wear a cute uniform,” Roberts said.

According to Roberts, she works hard during her practices and performances to always perform her best. She pushes herself to be the best she can be and represents her studio well by being a part of the competition team for six years. 

“I just get really determined to get flexible, and to have really pretty lines, and just to be a dancer everyone wants to watch,” Roberts said.

The school is a completely different environment than the studio. The Lioneers dance team is a sport at the school that provides entertainment and excitement for audiences of many.

“It is not as strict, but it is still strict, but I find it is easier to enjoy it because it’s not as physically labor-inducing. It is just an off day,” Roberts said. “It really makes me think about how to rise to the occasion, create school spirit for everyone and make the games more fun. Also, make it more enjoyable for the student section and parents.” 

Being involved with sports can be a struggle for all athletes, especially Roberts. She spends late nights after practice focusing on her academics and studies.

“I find it a big struggle to balance it, and it is funny you ask this because last night I woke up at 2 a.m. to finish my stuff, so it is not the worst, but I definitely would take off of studio dancing to balance it out,” Roberts said.

Roberts has overcome many challenges in her path that have affected dance for her. She has had 14 surgeries starting as early as birth. 

“It didn’t affect it that much, but of course I had to miss, but I caught back up pretty quick,” Roberts said.

Once Roberts had recovered she was back up and ready to show her spirit and talent in the art of dance. She dances for the enjoyment of others and for herself.